The Scottish Government
- Creative Industries (including digital content and technologies)
- Energy (with a particular focus on renewables)
- Financial and Business Services
- Food and Drink (including agriculture and fisheries)
- Life Sciences (including biotechnology and translational medicine)
- Securing funding and grants to develop new business ideas and products.
- Finding investors, business partners and collaborators
- Getting advice from business professionals on how to achieve business growth
- Refining existing products and services to make them more efficient and cost-effective.
- Information and advice on new working methods or production techniques.
- Support to enable and equip businesses to break into new markets.
Highlands and Islands Enterprise
- Supporting high growth businesses and sectors, so raising growth rates across the area;
- Creating the infrastructure and conditions to improve regional competitiveness and
- Strengthening communities, especially in the economically fragile parts of the area.
European Marine Energy Centre: a world-class marine energy research facility, supporting the marine renewable sector and generating significant economic benefits for Scotland.
Centre for Health Science: a facility designed to create a centre of excellence and encourage collaboration in education, training, research, business incubation and commercialisation in the healthcare sector.
Digital Economy, ICT and Rural Broadband: ensuring the Highlands and Islands have appropriate connectivity for now and the future and the capacity to adopt new and emerging technologies to boost economic growth and positively impact on remote and rural society.
Life Sciences: supporting opportunities in remote and rural healthcare and wellbeing, natural products and bioinformatics, including active participation in the Assisted Living Innovation Platform.
KTN and KTP activity: establishing better mechanisms to reach and engage, regional businesses with funding, knowledge, graduate recruitment and other opportunities.
SBRI: promoting SBRI opportunities to businesses across the region.
HIE also offers a wide range of services and programmes to businesses to support knowledge transfer, technology and research and development. These include:
- Business and innovation information and advice
- Funding options and opportunities
- Interface – linking businesses with academic research
- Research and Development funding scheme
- Business Innovation Grants – supporting links between businesses and academic institutions
- Framework Programme (FP7) – grants to encourage and support pan-Europe business collaborations